The School’s “Five Horizontal Themes” define the expectations of every student officer at TBS.
A Leader of Exemplary Character Selflessly devoted to leading Marines 24/7.
- Has a clear understanding that a Marine commission brings with it “special trust and confidence” and the highest expectations of the American people.
- Devoted to our Core Values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment
- Possesses a moral compass that unerringly points to “do the right thing” – an ethical warrior
Proficient in individual to platoon-level warfighting skills, weapons, and tactics.
- Embraces the “exceptional and unremitting” responsibility to one’s Marines and their families
- Inspires and instills confidence in their Marines during times of adversity
- Adheres to and enforces standards regardless of the time of day, location, or duty status
- Treats all Marines and Sailors with dignity and respect
- Dedicated to a lifetime of study and learning about the profession of arms
A Leader with a bias for action able to adapt to the environment, rapidly decide, communicate, and act in the “fog of war.”
- Can think critically and arrive at an acceptable decision based on sound tactical thinking within their commander’s intent
- Communicates clearly both orally and in writing in tactical and administrative situations with emphasis on issuing clear, meaningful orders and guidance
- Has a bias for action – seizes the initiative and acts instead of waiting for the perfect sight picture or direction from a higher
- Once an action is initiated, act with boldness and determination.
Embraces our Naval Character, expeditionary nature, and the Corps warrior ethos.
- A competent combat leader, grounded in the basic infantry skills and characterized by sound judgment and aggressiveness in execution.
- Educated in the fundamentals of maneuver warfare, tactics, combined arms, and the time-tested principles of battle
- Maintains an offensive mindset throughout – proactive, not reactive
Mentally Strong and Physically Tough
- Imbued with a warrior spirit and ability to thrive in a complex and chaotic environment and persevere despite the obstacles to mission accomplishment
- Possesses the self-discipline to push past preconceived limits