EXECUTION OF THE PFT
Individual performance on each PFT event will be executed as follows:
The goal of the pull-up event is for the Marine to execute as many accurate and complete pull-ups before dropping off the bar. The procedures are:
(1) This is not a timed event.
(2) Sweatshirts will be removed during the conduct of the pull-up event in
order to observe the lockout of the elbows with each repetition.
(3) Assistance to the bar with a step up, being lifted up, or jumping up is
authorized. Any assistance up to the bar will not be used to continue into the
(4) The bar must be grasped with both palms facing either forward or to the
(5) The correct starting position begins when the Marine’s arms are fully
extended beneath the bar, feet are free from touching the ground or any bar
mounting assist, and the body is motionless.
(6) The Marine’s legs may be positioned in a straight or bent position, but
may not be raised above the waist.
7) One repetition consists of raising the body with the arms until the
chin is above the bar, and then lowering the body until the arms are fully
extended; repeat the exercise. At no time during the execution of this event can a
Marine rest his chin on the bar.
(8) The intent is to execute a vertical “dead hang” pull-up. A certain
amount of inherent body movement will occur as the pull-up is executed. However,
the intent is to avoid a pendulum-like motion that enhances the ability to execute
the pull-up. Whipping, kicking, kipping of the body or legs, or any leg movement
used to assist in the vertical progression of the pull-up is not authorized. If
observed, the repetition will not count for score.
(9) A repetition will be counted when an accurate and complete pull-up is